The SMART goal framework is a useful framework for planning, structuring and executing work towards a specific goal for Fitness. It is a user-friendly methodology, in that it instructs which aspects of a goal and associated milestones should be included, and how these should be formulated to have best effect. This combination makes the SMART framework very powerful and significantly increases the chances of the goal at hand actually being reached.
- Run 5k three times a week for the next six months.
- Cut calorie intake to 1500kcal per day for three months.
- Undertake weight lifting once a week for the next six months.
The smart method
The acronym for smart:
- S - (Specific): Have a clear direction of where you are heading
- M - (Measurable): Can assess the outcome of your efforts
- A - (Achievable): Work towards a realistic ambition
- R - (Relevant): Focus resources on the correct tasks
- T - (Time-bound): Feel an appropriate sense of urgency