The SMART goal framework is a useful framework for planning, structuring and executing work towards a specific goal for Marketing teams. It is a user-friendly methodology, in that it instructs which aspects of a goal and associated milestones should be included, and how these should be formulated to have best effect. This combination makes the SMART framework very powerful and significantly increases the chances of the goal at hand actually being reached.
- Increase traffic to the website based on keywords by 20% during Q1 this year.
- Increase the traffic to the website by 10% per month by creating 5 articles on defined key topics by 31 December.
- Roll out advertising campaign on 200 billboards along Highway 1 in Q4.
- Establish a Facebook group with 10,000 followers by 30 June.
- Launch 6-month collaborations with five influencers with a minimum of 5,000 followers each in Q3.
The smart method
A goal will only qualify as SMART if all aspects are fulfilled. When correctly formulated, SMART goals ensure that you:
The acronym for smart:
- S - (Specific): Have a clear direction of where you are heading
- M - (Measurable): Can assess the outcome of your efforts
- A - (Achievable): Work towards a realistic ambition
- R - (Relevant): Focus resources on the correct tasks
- T - (Time-bound): Feel an appropriate sense of urgency