The SMART goal framework is a useful framework for planning, structuring and executing work towards a specific goal for Work. It is a user-friendly methodology, in that it instructs which aspects of a goal and associated milestones should be included, and how these should be formulated to have best effect. This combination makes the SMART framework very powerful and significantly increases the chances of the goal at hand actually being reached.
Setting goals for work enables individuals and teams to keep focused on where they are currently, what they want to accomplish, and during which timeframe.
- Attend five conferences during March
- Hire 10 new software developers during Q1
- Give Uma feedback on the design template by March 15
The smart method
A goal will only qualify as SMART if all aspects are fulfilled. When correctly formulated, SMART goals ensure that you:
The acronym for smart:
- S - (Specific): Have a clear direction of where you are heading
- M - (Measurable): Can assess the outcome of your efforts
- A - (Achievable): Work towards a realistic ambition
- R - (Relevant): Focus resources on the correct tasks
- T - (Time-bound): Feel an appropriate sense of urgency